10 critical pieces of paperwork you need to file divorce
A lot of divorce clients ask me, what documents do I need to get together? Here is a list of some of the most important documents you will need:
- Complete income tax returns, W2s, and other like documents for the last 3 years.
- Year-to-date income information (such as pay stubs) for yourself and your spouse.
- Statements for banking and other financial accounts for the past 12 months.
- Statements for credit cards and other debts for the past 12 months.
- If you have children, copies of the monthly out-of-pocket cost of health insurance and the number of people covered on the plan. If you have employer-provided health insurance, this may be on your pay stub.
- If you have children, copies of any work-related daycare expense.
- Deeds, appraisals, mortgages, or other like documents for all real estate.
- Your will and your spouse’s will.
- Life insurance policies for you and your spouse.
- Certificates of title or other ownership documents regarding any cars, boats, motorcycles, RVs, or any type of titled vehicle.